LPC1768 versus LPC2368

10 Mar 2010

Hi folks

I must have been asleep for a few months and only just realised that that the production mbed has changed to an LPC1768 from my beta version LPC2368. Although I can download the long full datasheets for the two processors, I would welcome a summary from MBED as to the differences and what they mean in practice. Is it possible to upgrade the processor on my beta MBED or is the pcb design and code different?

Tony

10 Mar 2010

Hi Tony,

The LPC1768 is based on the Cortex-M3 CPU running at 100MHz, whereas the LPC2368 is an ARM7 at 60MHz

The LPC1768 has USB *host* as well as device, and there are a number of other small changes, but they are very similar, to the point where they are actually pin compatible.

The mbed API libraries are consistent for both variants, so code written for the LPC2368 should compile and run onthe newer board, but being different CPU architectures, they are not binary compatible.

The user account you have (from the beta program?) will only target the LPC2368. If you had an LPC1768 mbed you would be able to register again, which would simply add the ability to target the LPC1768 to your existing account.

If some was there are huge differences, in some ways they are almost identical. If neither the raw processing speed or USB Host are of interest/use, the LPC2368 should still serve you well!

Hope that helps,

Chris

10 Mar 2010

Its more core differences:

Different instruction set

NVIC (Nested Vectored Interrupt Controller) - Makes it better suited to embedded control systems.

22 Mar 2010

Hi Chris

Thanks for your detailed reply. I may need the raw processing speed because I am trying to design a system which would take FFTs of incoming VLF signals and send processed data to a port. Do I assume from your post that I can indeed desolder the LPC2368 and replace it with  an LPC1768, or would I have to buy a new board in order to re-register?

Also, thanks Andrew - nested interrupts probably not a priority for me currently. However, it does look like I am going to have to get stuck into those data sheets to understand the instruction differences - I was brought up on ARMs and StrongARMs for the Acorn Archimedes and RISC-PC, and DEC PDP11s before that.

Tony

22 Mar 2010

Hi Tony,

As much as I'm sure you'd love to put your soldering skills to the test, you can't just switch the chips :) The design and configuration is actually different.

But if you get hold of the mbed NXP LPC1768 board, when you plug it in you can just register it to your existing account instead of creating a new one, so you'll be able to target both types of board in the compiler; a drop down lets you switch the compile target which is hopefully pretty neat.

Simon

22 Mar 2010

Not to nitpick, but I believe with the latest library, the LPC1768 is being clocked at 96MHz, not 100MHz.

It's an awesome platform at any speed.

-Mike

16 Sep 2016

HELLO THERE I HAVE A QUESTION I MADE A PROJECT WITH CMSIS ON LPC1768 NOW CAN I WRITE IT ON LPC2368 HOW?