how to turn it from prototype into a mass production?

13 Oct 2011

Hi,

I am a bit new with this, and have developed a product that I would like to now produce. Who do I ask to do it for me? Especially, do we need to use MBED board each time I produce it, or is there a way to convert the code I made and load it on EPROM or something similar that is less power hungry?

Ideally, it should be running on D-cell batteries or even triple-As.

What is the right terminology for doing this and what exactly do I ask from the potential manufacturer other than: I have made a prototype on my breadboard using mbed and now I want you to make it all nice and shiny on one PCB, and not use mbed.

Is it even possible?

Frog the masked avenger!

13 Oct 2011

Yes, it is very simple to do, obviously the simple design will be the most easy to implement. As long as you are not using 'Local File.System', Then the design will probably just work. The USB link can be done with a MAX232, or one of the FTDI 232 Parts.

Have a look at some of .my other postes, as I have made a working design on test PCB. The only thing I do not recall any one doing is Ethernet!

Also look for prototype to hardware in MBED posts.

I total recomend eagle Pcb. Best of all most people are using it, and there are lots of MBED designs out ther. Also, the free version is very good.

Hope this helps,

Ceri.

13 Oct 2011

Hi,

no you don't have to use an mbed in each product, you just have to use the main processor from the mbed board. The LPC1768.

Thats the point of mbed, you can quickly build a prototype, and then use exactly the same code you used on your mbed to run your custom made (with an LPC1768 on it) board.

The mbed / LPC1768 hardware is "open source", infact it's on this board, so you can easily have a board designed.

The hard bit is that an LPC1768 is quite hard to hand solder, so you either have to accept you will be using a microscope and hand building your boards, (very time consuming), or making a reasonable upfront investment and having them made on a pick and place machine.

cheers

Dave

03 Oct 2013

Actually, there is no need to use a pick and place machine, except if you are into volume production. I have been hand soldering TQFP packages for years. I have also been using a toaster oven to reflow solder boards for quite some time now too. These boards have been for hobby usage. Just google 'reflow toaster oven' and you will get tons of hits for the 'how-to' type of hobbyists. For hand soldering, I used a lighted magnifyer loop. You can get them at Walmart/Kmart or and of the hobby/craft stores.