CMSIS-DAP EULA

08 Dec 2015

I have a question about the strategic decision to have an EULA for the CMSIS standards (particularly CMSIS-DAP), and the seemingly resulting stagnation in development of the standard and complete source code. Can somebody at ARM provide some insight into why these standards don't have public drafts that encourage feedback/development?

Also, as far as I can tell the CMSIS-DAP standard is becoming incredibly fragmented and leading to a worse scenario than when there were just JLink FW revisions and a closed source solution. There aren't really any open-source / commercial CMSIS-DAP dongles that support all DAP features with solid performance, and the work being done on porting the CMSIS-DAP firmware to new targets seems to be all but abandoned (other than some work done by some brave interested in the standard). I wouldn't consider the repository to be all that healthy either.

Isn't ARM in the business of licensing silicon? I feel like I must be missing something rather important. Are dev-kit vendors all modifying CMSIS-DAP for their own on-board-debugging modules, or do they just copy paste one of the known working ports. Projects such as openocd and even pyOCD (another ARM project) seem to be negatively affected by a stagnated/fragmented ecosystem of various firmware implementations.

11 Dec 2015

Hi Benjamin -

Wondering where you're seeing fragmentation of CMSIS-DAP?