The nRF51822-mKIT is a low cost ARM mbed enabled development board for Bluetooth® Smart designs with the nRF51822 SoC. The kit gives access to all GPIO pins via pin headers and incorporates a coin-cell battery holder for portability enabling in-situ evaluation and test
Bluetooth Smart is quickly becoming a key communication component for IoT devices and it's already supported in modern smartphones and tablets. It is designed for enabling short-range wireless connectivity to things like coin cell-powered accessories. This opens the door to things like Appcessories and a whole host of applications for interacting and configuring devices, where you can embed a Bluetooth Smart chip and bring your own device (BYOD).
We have now successfully enabled this device on mbed, including the Bluetooth Smart APIs in the mbed SDK, so you can create a Bluetooth Smart based device in a quick and productive manner.
- Nordic nRF51822 System-on-Chip combining Bluetooth v4.1-compliant 2.4GHz multiprotocol radio and ARM® Cortex®-M0 processor on a single chip optimized for ultra-low power operation
- 31 GPIO’s accessible on pin header
- USB drag and drop programming
- USB Virtual COM port for serial terminal
- CMSIS-DAP interface for programming and debugging from offline tools and pyOCD
- Accepts power through:
- External source
- Single 2032 coin-cell battery, onboard battery holder
- Pin header for current measurement
Support for FOTA¶
We now have support for Firmware Over The Air (or FOTA for short) for this platform. This means that you can program the nRF51822 without going through the mbed interface chip over USB. No need for cables except for an initial install of the bootloader image (or as a fallback). And you can get console output over the air as well. Yay!!
Binaries built for FOTA need a minor change in the toolchain (they don't need to be combined with the softdevice), and so we've cloned the build platform into a 'shadow' platform for FOTA. You can access this shadow platform by following this link.
The latest mbed interface upgrade file for the nRF51822-mkit is:
Version 0218, Minor bug fixes. Added correct MSD content for specific platform.
Version 0216, Minor bug fixes. Flow control implemented on CDC. (UART works with or without flow control up to 1mbps)
Version 0212, Minor bug fixes. Added target erase all feature, press and hold reset for 5 sec
To update the firmware:
- Unplug mkit from the usb.
- Press and hold down the reset button and connect the usb while doing so
- Mkit should now enumerate as an MSD named "BOOTLOADER"
- Copy the binary to the BOOTLOADER drive.
- Wait until the drive dismounts and the mbed LED is flashing continuously
- Unplug the board and plug in again, and the board should enumerate as usual.
You can find detailed information about this platform in the nRF51822-mKIT User Guide.
For any nRF51822 related questions you can also search and post questions on NORDIC DEVELOPER ZONE
A team of summer interns at Nordic have recently developed a library for easier setup and prototyping of IoT devices for the nRF51822. Check it out!
Please log in to start a discussion or ask a question.
Start new topic
1 month, 3 weeks ago
1 year, 1 month ago