ST
A world leader in providing the semiconductor solutions that make a positive contribution to people’s lives, both today and in the future.

how to install nucleo driver for linux systems

16 Mar 2015

hello, i got stm32f103, i am working on linux based system. how to install drivers for the same?. is it possible to workin embed from a linux pc?

thank you

16 Mar 2015

If you want to update the mbed firmware onto the Nucelo, you'll need a computer running Windows 7 or 8 (XP might work, though I didn't test it.)

As for the actual development of mbed program, you can do it on any Linux system since the IDE is a browser based, and you just need to copy the compiled binary file to Nucleo board which presents as a USB drive on a Linux system.

16 Mar 2015

I work with different types of Nucleo boards on Debian GNU/Linux OS without any problem. Both the virtual com port and simple copy-paste programming work well. If you mount the virtual disk of your Nucleo board, you can copy your mbed compiled program to the virtual disk several time, without any trouble.

Really IMPORTANT! With older firmware it does not work! It is necessary to upgrade! As Ken mentioned before, firmware upgrade process does not work on GNU/Linux so I upgraded with an another computer with Windows too. Just a note: Before the firmware upgrade it seemed to work at first, but it was not stable. It was really frustrating! After one successful programming the connection was broken and finally with an experiment with printf the connection lost until the re-flashing the ST-LINK firmware.

Peter

01 Apr 2015

GREAT NEWS!

ST released a new firmware with great java based installation program! It is multiplatform and supports both 32 bit and 64 bit GNU/Linux systems.

The firmware version is 2.23.10 which is installed by the package. You can dowload from the link:

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260217

Follow the description! It needs only java and libusb installed. If you did not use Nucleo in your Linux, then it is necessary to copy the attached udev rules in the appropriate directory (maybe it depends on your distribution).

I tested in my Debian laptop and it works flawlessly!

17 Apr 2015

thank you fellows

21 Apr 2015

I can confirm the updates applied using linux mint 17.

I already had libusb installed and copied the udev rules into the location specified in the link below. I ran the java updater using OpenJDK Java7 runtime by right clicking on STLinkUpgrade.jar and selecting open with... OpenJDK...

After copying the udev rules, I had to unlpug the stm32f411 and replug it before the update program would work (complained of permissions). This was a great step forward in the mbed world as I do not have any windows boxes available that I could have used to update the cards.

Thanks to all the devs Lawrence VE7IT

Péter Kalicz wrote:

GREAT NEWS!

ST released a new firmware with great java based installation program! It is multiplatform and supports both 32 bit and 64 bit GNU/Linux systems.

The firmware version is 2.23.10 which is installed by the package. You can dowload from the link:

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260217

Follow the description! It needs only java and libusb installed. If you did not use Nucleo in your Linux, then it is necessary to copy the attached udev rules in the appropriate directory (maybe it depends on your distribution).

I tested in my Debian laptop and it works flawlessly!

08 Nov 2015

Thanks for that ,using it a real pleasure .flawlessly is the word .