The Freedom-K64F is an ultra-low-cost development platform for Kinetis K64, K63, and K24 MCUs.

Flash FRDM-K64F from Linux

19 Jan 2017

I am trying to write the .bin file from mbed to the FRDM-K64F from a computer running Linux (specifically ArchLinux and KDE Plasma). This should be doable, since the flash process is so simple, but there does not seem to be any information on how to troubleshoot this process on Linux.

So far: The program is a simple HelloWorld blinky.

The board appears as a device (/dev/sdb). There are no apparent partitions. When mounting from KDE's automount procedure, it mounts properly, and I can copy to it. I can also read from it, as I can see the SystemVolumeInformation and the help .html. From here I am supposed to be able to copy the .bin to it and press the reset button.

Copying via a file explorer and the command line are the same. The red status LED turns on and goes dim. As long as the reset button is pressed, the status LED is full brightness, and it dims again upon release. The program does not run.

When I attempt to mount the device manually (mount /dev/sdb mountpoint/), it returns "mount: /dev/sdb is not a valid block device." This is normally what is returned if you attempt to mount a USB storage outer device instead of a partition, but in this case, there are no partitions (/dev/sdb1, etc).

My friend was able to quickly program the device using his Macbook, and I am sure it works fine on Windows.

Any thoughts? I may simply be missing information about how the K64F's flash needs to be treated that other operating systems do behind the scenes.

25 May 2018

I know that this post is just by year old, but maybe for another people looking for a solution - have you synced memory before unplugging the FRDM?

I simply copy program from terminal to be sure that everything is fine

include the mbed library with this snippet

cp /home/user/program.bin /media/user/FRDM-K64F/ && sync