Build System Down?

18 Jan 2015

Looks like the build system is down.

Anyone getting compiles done at the moment?

I'm going to monitor the IRC channel also: http://developer.mbed.org/irc/

18 Jan 2015

Nope, down for me too. From about 10 minutes ago.

18 Jan 2015

Dave Tech wrote:

Nope, down for me too. From about 10 minutes ago.

Thanks - good to know.

18 Jan 2015

Now we get to find out if they have weekend support !

18 Jan 2015

I see aimaz on IRC but he's not responding - he is one of the server gurus.

18 Jan 2015

he's probably a wee bit busy to respond on IRC right now then. ;-) There's probably flashing lights all over the place too. ;-)

18 Jan 2015

No response on IRC - maybe someone with Twitter can reach them: @ARMmbed

18 Jan 2015

/media/uploads/cputalk/build_down.jpg

18 Jan 2015

It is up!!

18 Jan 2015

Thanks - it just came back.

-deleted-
18 Jan 2015

Hi All,

First, thank you for reporting this and apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We've identified the issue and then took measures to prevent it in the future on the build system side of things. We'd like to investigate the issue further with the mbed SDK team and discuss with third parties the backend compiler side of things.

A very specific combination between source code, mbed SDK library and target platform, may cause the backend compiler to compile a single source file for over 15 minutes and eat gigabytes of RAM. Over time, while retrying to compile this, the hanging compile processes would stack up and at some point the server kernel would shutdown all compile services to free memory. There are various protection mechanisms on the mbed backend that prevent different DoS attacks and we strongly believe that wasn't a case of a DoS attack, and neither was done on purpose to harm the mbed services.

Once again thanks for reporting this and please let us know if you experience any regressions with the mbed ecosystem.

Cheers,
Mihail

19 Jan 2015

Thanks for the detailed update Mihail.