Requesting review of tutorial

18 Mar 2010

Hello everyone,

Let me begin by introducing myself.  My name is Ben, and I'm a senior at Purdue University studying electrical engineering.  My friend George and I are working on the creation of nbitwonder.com, a site that aims to provide tutorials and projects aimed at high-end microcontrollers.  We have created a tutorial for the mbed, and we would be interested to hear the community's feedback on said tutorial.

We have posted the first tutorial at http://nbitwonder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mbed_Introduction.pdf.

In short, what do you like about it?  What could be better?  Is the format alright?  We're looking for any and all feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ben

19 Mar 2010

Just my two cents....  It looks pretty good overall.  Page 5 however shows code for 'Implementing the main() function', but the 'Variables and Initializations' section above shows nothing for code.  As the document seems to be directed to beginners with microcontrollers (which is great), I don't think it will occur to most beginners to have the #include mbed.h or to set the variables, etc...  Fig 8 seems to show it, but its unreadable.

Other than that I would say without listing the features, it's a great overview of the mBed in general. 

19 Mar 2010 . Edited: 19 Mar 2010

Hi Ben,

Awesome! Looks great. Here are some minor notes:

Under "Tools and Materials", you say you need an mbed and a cable. This is obviously true but it'd be nice if it was clear we do include a cable with mbed! Small thing, but i've noticed on some sites selling mbed that they have "recommended items" quoting USB cables etc, and I really don't want people thinking we're not including a cable; that is like christmas when you open something cool and it says "batteries not included" - doh! Needs AAAs and all your remotes take AAs!

Some of the images are heavily compressed, and therefore you can't read the code, so i'd tweak the size/quality trade-off; perhaps ensuring the src is gif/png before converting to PDF is a good approach?

As Mark says, Fig 9 should include the whole main.cpp code. We're really trying with mbed to make things simple/concise enough so you really can always post a complete example rather than snippits; it is obvious to you what is missing, but to a new starter it is a level of subtlety that can be confusing.

Perhaps think about variable naming in code, and check for consistency. Classic bug here is the comment refers to "bit_val", whilst the code uses "bin_val". Maybe I wouldn't capitalise Bits as well, just so it makes it easy to distinguish between class names and class instances - perhaps it is "leds".

Binary, mapping of variables to bits, how that maps to leds, overflow etc can be quite subtle for a newbie. I think there is an opportunity at the start of the "writing a binary counter" section to throw in a figure and a concise explanation about what you are trying to implement and how. Even a listing of the sequence you are trying to get:

:

might help. Certainly don't want to go overkill on theory and must keep it concise, but I think you need to offer a way of unknitting all these concepts from an introductory sentence should someone need to understand/be reminded of binary/hex/overflow/adding; by example is fine.

I'd consider up front in the tutorial briefly saying we're going to get you from x (e.g. unboxing) to y (e.g. writing a first binary counter example). That way someone reading has an expectation of the level/depth of the tutorial. In particular, if they have worked the basics with mbed they wont be disappointed when it stops, and will know part 2 is for them and come back when it is ready.

I'll let others comment on what else might be interesting from a first time users point of view, but in general it feels very nice.

Simon

19 Mar 2010

Okay, mbed introduction tutorial has been updated based on feedback provided by you guys. Please let myself and Ben know what you think.

Thanks,

George

19 Mar 2010 . Edited: 19 Mar 2010

Hi Guys,

Great stuff.

Where you talk about where to buy mbed, a link to http://mbed.org/order might be better, as we'll be actively maintaining this page so your tutorial won't go out of date. It also avoids ti looking like favouritism :-)

Also, the close up photos look a bit wobbly?

Apart from that, pretty cool, nice work!

Cheers,
Chris

16 Feb 2011

Hi guys,

Does anybody have the pdf? I would want to take a loot at it but the link is dead, and I think it could help me a lot :)

Thanks a lot!

Jo

12 Apr 2011

Hi !

The same !! Link is dead, please re-up it !!

Thanks