Does GPS Receiver automatically receives NMEA sentence without needing to send any commands?

23 May 2012

I'm using the MN5010 gps receiver, datasheet can be found here. http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/MN5010HS_DS_080905.pdf

I'm using the MODGPS library to try and get some data from it, Library can be found here http://mbed.org/cookbook/MODGPS

The problem is the latitude and longitude recorded are always 00. The Gps sometimes stop working and stops outputting any data.

I'm outside with no tall buildings nearby but it still does not do anything.

I set the pcbaud and gpsbaud to 9600 and 4800 respectively. using p10 for GPSRX.

Is there any code that I can just type myself to receive the full NMEA sentences? How long does it take for gps to receive NMEA sentences? What other factors I must take into account for?

This is my first time dealing with GPS and it's not working.

24 May 2012

That receiver probably uses 3.3V logic level signals for its serial data. You did use a converter to go to RS232 for the PC, right? That converter probably inverts the data. Check if the receiver's output data polarity (mark/space voltages) are compatible with the inversion. Don't forget the GND connection.

all GPS receivers I've seen come from the factory set to send the recommended NMEA sentences at 4800 baud. If wired correctly, any terminal program on the PC, at 4800 baud, should display the text. These usually repeat every few seconds. To choose which NMEA sentences you wish to receive, you must send configuration commands to the receiver. All receivers I've seen use a proprietar format to do that. I don't recall that the NMEA standard defines such.

You could read the NMEA standard; it's on the web for download.

I've not used the receiver to which you refer. I have used SiRF chipset receivers.

In the NMEA sentences there's a "Fix Type". It codes if there are insufficient satellites in view to do a fix. At cold start (stale almanac) it can take 5 minutes to get the first fix - IF the receiver has a clear view of most of the sky to receive from as many satellites as possible. With a warm-start, you should see time to first fix of less than a minute.

As you may know, GPS rarely works indoors without a clear view of the sky. It also has a hard time getting an almanac for a cold start if most of the sky view is occluded by trees, houses, mountains.