total newb - really confused

10 Oct 2016

I have bought a STM32L011K4T6 added it to my platforms in the compiler, got the latest/installed ST-LINK/V2-1 firmware and USB driver. I plug in the board and the default program starts led blinking.

Question: 1. When I goto new and try any other example program - when I compile it there is never enough room on the STM32L011 keeps saying not enough space NODE_L011K4 2. When I compile blinky it is 14k - is that right as it seems large 3. how can I empty the memory to make room? 4. where is the best place for newbies?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I am really struggling to get anything to work as shown in documentation even 'hello world' (keeps saying not enough space NODE_L011K4)

11 Oct 2016

Is there already a file on the mbed board when you try to copy the program? Delete that file first and then copy the new one.

Most mbed boards (not all, I don't know your one off hand) will pull in the c stdio library and use that for error reporting of things like invalid IO pin assignments. This does mean that a basic blinky program is a lot larger than would be expected but most real world programs are either so simple that the size isn't an issue or end up using these libraries anyway so the is no size hit in the end.

There are ways to not include the library if it matters for a given project but it's not normally worth it.

12 Oct 2016

thanks Andy There is only 16k onboard so size becomes an issue on this board plus I assume there is some kind of boot program. How do I delete the files, already onboard, so that it is empty(except for he boot program)? there does not seem to be any obvious way to do this. When I plug the board in all I see is a txt file(details 1k) and htm file(mbed 1k)