mbed.org under load

08 Feb 2011

It looks like the cloud compiler is being tested pretty severely today, judging by the slow responses I've been getting for the last few hours. A couple of bugs and/or oddities have shown up:

1. In two cases, compilation began but never ended. The hourglass was showing on the browser cursor. I decided to close the window and try again. This gave the error message about having unsaved files. However, since I could not gain the attention of the cloud compiler, there was no way to save. Oh well.

2. After getting burned a couple of times, I would save before compiling. Until just a moment ago, when the save seemed to hang, and eventually came back with the file still showing unsaved status, and the following message:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_uPXih5V64C0/TVGh8ddng4I/AAAAAAAAADg/a-vW1ppyjbs/s800/mbed_err.JPG

3. Then on other attempts, the compiler would start slowly but suddenly pop up the window asking about saving the results before the web interface had indicated completion. That is, the Compiler Output window was still blank, and the progress bar in the lower right corner was only about 30% - 40% complete. Odd.

I guess this is the price to pay for such a popular site :-)

Anyway, I hope this bit of feedback helps future development.

08 Feb 2011

I too see this...

Quote:

3. Then on other attempts, the compiler would start slowly but suddenly pop up the window asking about saving the results before the web interface had indicated completion. That is, the Compiler Output window was still blank, and the progress bar in the lower right corner was only about 30% - 40% complete. Odd.

I see something even more strange. If I save the "uncompleted" program it "half works but crashes". Comparing the bin file size from previous runs I'm missing around 13k of program (originally 40k but now compiles to 27k).

08 Feb 2011

Same problem here. I stop with coding right now! This is currently unworkable. Maybe a offline compiler make things more independent and easy to work with.

08 Feb 2011

No problem here, but maybe I am causing it ;) I did a few compiles of a somewhat large application (129k)

08 Feb 2011

Am seeing compilation failing to complete / prompt for download, etc. Just reminds me that there's advantages and disadvantages in online and offline approaches.

08 Feb 2011

Yeah it has been horrible all day. I just close the tab and load the compiler when it dies. I save so obsessively I rarely have to redo much.

08 Feb 2011

Hi,

Is anyone still seeing the problems just reported?

I've identified and killed an errant backup process which has been causing abnormally high load across some of our servers.

This should have corrected the issue. This has been caused by a malfunctioning process, not user load. We are busy but well within capacity - when things work as they should!

Thanks to everyone who reported the problem. Please do continue report anything that isn't working to the high standards you should expect!

Apologies to all who have been inconvenienced.

Dan

08 Feb 2011

Compiler started working again several minutes ago, seems to be a-ok again. Thanks much!!

08 Feb 2011

Not for me, my project is still only partially compiling resulting in a 27k bin file when I know it should be over 40k

08 Feb 2011

Restarted my browser and all began to work. But not for long, just tried to save some changes and the browser failed to phone home again and save the changes.

08 Feb 2011

Still behaving erratically here. First test compilation showed the premature termination; the second test took over 2 minutes to respond.

Edit: after those hiccups, it seems to be back to normal now. I've compiled twice more with no issues.

08 Feb 2011

Hi Andy,

What sort of error messages are you seeing?

Do you have any problems accessing the non-compiler part of the site?

08 Feb 2011

I don't get any error messages now. None of the buttons respond. I can edit the files in teh browser but clicking save, save all or compile has no effect.

Restarted browser and buttons came alive. Working at the moment. If I see any more problems I'll repost.

09 Feb 2011

Is the main site supposed to be still under maintenance or is that some sort of DNS bug (or something)?

09 Feb 2011

I'm still getting timeouts (or massive compile times). I don't mean to be whiny (I love my mbed and certainly plan to keep using it no matter what) but this is getting a little old. I'm hoping the site problems will be cleared up soon. It is very difficult to work when 1 time out of every 6 compile attempts I encounter epic failure server side.

09 Feb 2011

Aaron,

I don't see anything that should be causing problems. Can you confirm whether the whole site is slow, or just the compiler?

09 Feb 2011

The site itself works fine, except for the fact that the main site says you are down for maintenance. It's only in the compiler that I am having problems. It is either when I try to save or compile that I run into a problem. Somewhere along the line something takes a very long time or simply times out. I don't get a message, I just get nothing. It might say "Waiting for mbed.org..." at the bottom but that's about all the message I ever get.

09 Feb 2011

I am having the same problems.

09 Feb 2011

Program saves and compiles are very slow or fail.

09 Feb 2011

Dan, sorry, I have to agree, big projects that previously compiled don't now. Today I've been using "tiny" main.cpp whilst putting together an article and they all compile fine (I mean just a few lines of demo code). Today I wasn't on my project.

Having seen these two posts I decided to go compile it and see what happens. End of last night the code was working fine. No changes, compile up now and it simply hangs the Mbed.

When compiling it seems many of the files don't appear in the status line and it's compiling much faster than it was previously.

09 Feb 2011

Thanks Andy,

We are investigating. Will try and keep you informed.

09 Feb 2011

Ok - I have backed out of a change made a couple of weeks ago, which may have been causing poor compile speeds/timeouts.

Would be interested to see if anyone notices any improvement.

Dan

09 Feb 2011

Works fine now (program wise). The status messages still seem a bit odd. Previously I could pretty much see the names of all the files as they compiled. Now, it appears there are far fewer compiled, almost as though a proper "make" rather than "build world" was going on. But, compiler works for me on my large project.

09 Feb 2011

I am still seeing the same problems. My bin file now gets some additional characters appended to it also.

09 Feb 2011

Yeah I don't think that was it exactly. Still seeing some of the same problems.

10 Feb 2011

So far, everything seems fine today.

10 Feb 2011

Never mind. Spoke too soon. Falling asleep waiting for compiles and saves here lol.

Secondary information: The main mbed.org page says it is under maintenance. It has said this for days. On my girlfriend's computer however it does not say this. I have rebooted since realizing this and there is no change. That may be related.

Windows 7

Chrome 9.0.597.94

I fear I am being annoying but another thing I just noticed is that the compiler seems to have most often (or maybe even exclusively) when I has screwed something up (meaning there are compiler errors to come back to me).

12 Feb 2011

I'm still seeing these kinds of issues... my project is only 50K total so I'm not having problems with truncation or anything; the most common symptom is that it takes a very long time to save changes to the project. Compiling is also slow, but works more reliably - saving just takes 10-20 seconds (often I'm not sure if it's doing anything, since the file names still show up in bold in the left pane.)

(Windows 7, Firefox 3.6.13)

edit: just wanted to say, also, that I haven't been using the site very heavily this week so I don't really have anything to compare with; I did use it to run a few compiles yesterday and the day before, and I did notice some abnormal lag on those days as well, but I don't know if it's gotten better since then.

12 Feb 2011

I've been on the site a lot today and I've had to shutdown the browser about 10 times due to it locing up for over 5 minutes. Doing saves or compiling has failed for me the last 4 attempts... I'm calling it a day... something is not right...

12 Feb 2011

Hi all,

It looks like there is still an intermittent problem with connectivity. We have got network engineers investigating.

Apologies for what must be a frustrating issue.

Dan