Suggestion: Multi-user compatibility

05 Sep 2010 . Edited: 05 Sep 2010

I'm using mbed for a group project at university, and have given this account's user info to all the 4 group members.

I'm a little concerned that multiple users may log on to the compiler, make changes and have their changes overwritten by a later save.

eg: user 1 and user 2 log on at same time. user 1 makes changes, saves, logs out. user 2 makes changes, saves, user 1's changes is overwritten.

I think I've seen this suggested before, but what about some way to have multiple users (accounts each?) access the same code? Ideally you'd be able to see who edited which section of code when, and track clashes. (Similar to wiki)

It might be a bit crazy, but what about being able to collaborate on code together in realtime? Perhaps you could use some code from Google Wave protocol?

05 Sep 2010

Hi Alex,

user avatar Alex Louden wrote:
I'm using mbed for a group project at university, and have given this account's user info to all the 4 group members. I'm a little concerned that multiple users may log on to the compiler, make changes and have their changes overwritten by a later save.
Yeah, this is not how it should work; every user should have their own account, just like with your email account.

Every mbed comes with a license key to allow creation of an account for that board type (note that is not tied to that specific mbed board), so you should really have at least as many mbed's as users. However, we know this arrangement of multiple users is more common in education settings (and where money is sometimes a little tighter!), so we will consider sponsoring additional accounts for mbeds being used for this sort of thing. See:

So just drop us a line with the details it asks for, and we'll sort some extra accounts out for you.

Re: multiple users working on the same code in realtime; This is certainly something we've talked about :) I think the wave/google docs stuff shows there is potential for it to work, but it is still all a bit R&D (google docs is currently about the most mainstream thing that supports it, wave got killed).

I think our plan is first looking at the more asynchronous distributed version control route, where multiple users can share a repository (and history), and all the workflows that can work on top of that. We've put a simplistic version of that idea on our beta site in the form of library publishing; you can publish code multiple times (version), pull in someone else's code and edit/publish it yourself (fork). We'll see if and how that gets used to help gauge the interest, and that'll help us see what could work.

FYI, our current hypothesis is we'll integrate git in to the workspaces, and support publishing on mbed or github to get the shared workflows.

Simon

17 Oct 2010

i thought of an similar problem/suggestion...

is there a possibility to share a project to someone else with an mbed board/account?

theres no need to edit the same file at the same time, it could be locked if someone works on it.

the only thing is that if two people are developing a common project both must be able to see the project and edit some parts.

i think project sharing is not that difficult and already well known from several cms pages but i didnt find some option for now.

maybe its already possible?

09 Dec 2010

I/We would also like a feature like this. Our specific request would be something like:

- The ability for multiple distinct users to work on the same set of code - libraries or programs. This code may or may not be 'published' publicly. That is, we want a private shared code store. When we are happy with the quality of the code, we would then publish using the existing mechanism to share publicly. We would still want to be able to make changes and have that update both our private code store and the published version.

Thank you, Tyler

09 Dec 2010

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your post. This is a feature we want to add, and are working on enabling this behind the scenes.

I'm wondering though how you envisage the 'co-working' aspect working in terms of user experience - what sort of workflow would you like to see?

Thanks,

Dan

21 Mar 2011

Hi,

Is there any progress on this?

I'm working together with some others on a project. We use the MBED platform to implement a driver board for Laser Cutters (http://www.laoslaser.org). Our developers have their own mbed's and accounts on mbed.org. Life would be much easier if we can share a repository that has read+write access for project-members and read-access for the rest of the world.

Thanks,

Jaap

06 Oct 2011

Is it now possible we must make a project in our school and we are a project group of 5 students we would share the project to all of this group

Thanks Klaus

16 Jan 2012

Hello,

To come back on what has been said before, I would like to know if it is now possible to share a project between 2 accounts. I could not find such an option on the website.

Thank you,

Fabien

19 Mar 2012

Hey,

I am in the same situation here: We are 3-5 people working on the same project, and we are using a mix of a single account, and emailing code to each other. The already existing version control features are great, but we would love to see it possible to commit to a tree from different accounts!

Thank you, Oskar

19 Mar 2012

Hi Oskar,

You're in luck: This is exactly what we have been working on for the last few months. We hope to start public trials soon.

I've added you to the list of people we'll contact when we have something for you to have a look at.

Thanks,

Dan

19 Mar 2012

Awesome!

16 Apr 2012

Excellent. I/We am/are really looking forward to this feature.

Thank you, Tyler

20 Apr 2012

Hello,

Are there any updates regarding this feature? It is very highly sought after in our project group!

Thank you.

21 Apr 2012

Hi,

I can tell you, in the words of Oskar, its Awesome!

But that is no good if you can't use it :) Whilst it has taken a lot of headscratching and raw engineering effort (especially from dan and mihail) to turn a complex dvcs client-server combo in to something with the simplicity we are happy with, we're basically there. We're doing our final round of internal testing and tweaking before it'll be out to test by a small set of additional trial users.

This is one of the biggest features we've ever attempted, so it's only going when it's ready :)

Simon

22 Apr 2012

I have similar question, I have four or five MBED's in work, and have only registered my original.

but cannot workout which one is which!!!

and another work coliuge wants to use one of them

how can I find out which one's are registered, and to who???

cheers

Ceri.

28 May 2012

Hi Dan,

Dan Ros wrote:

You're in luck: This is exactly what we have been working on for the last few months. We hope to start public trials soon.

I'm getting so sad by this problem. And, I want remote repository access to the code in the compiler. If we have that, we can use our favorite editor and grep it and team development.

Yoshi

15 Jun 2012

Thought I would add to this thread incase anyone missed it: http://mbed.org/blog/entry/Collaboration-beta-trials-starting-now/