undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'

23 Feb 2017

I imported the application Serial-LowPower-Demo in mbed compiler. I have successfully update, compiled and tested the application on my Silicon Labs STK3700. I then exported the project to Simplicity Studio and than imported (File->Import->MCU Project). The compilation is not successful. The error is the following:

Building target: Serial-LowPower-Demo_3.axf
Invoking: GNU ARM C++ Linker
arm-none-eabi-g++ -g -gdwarf-2 -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -T "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\efm32gg.ld" -L"C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM" -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--wrap,main -Wl,--wrap,_malloc_r -Wl,--wrap,_free_r -Wl,--wrap,_realloc_r -Wl,--wrap,_calloc_r -Wl,--wrap,exit -Wl,--wrap,atexit -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb --specs=nosys.specs -Xlinker --gc-sections -Xlinker -Map="Serial-LowPower-Demo_3.map" --specs=nano.specs -o Serial-LowPower-Demo_3.axf "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\cmsis_nvic.o" "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\mbed_board.o" "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\mbed_overrides.o" "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\retarget.o" "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\startup_efm32gg.o" "C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\system_efm32gg.o" "./main.o" -lstdc++ -lsupc++ -lm -lnosys -lc -lgcc -lmbed -Wl,--start-group -lgcc -lc -lnosys -Wl,--end-group
c:/siliconlabs/simplicitystudio/v3/developer/toolchains/gnu_arm/4.8_2013q4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/crt0.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x4e): undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'
C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\retarget.o: In function `__cxa_pure_virtual':
retarget.cpp:(.text.__cxa_pure_virtual+0x4): undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'
C:\Users\Antonello\Documents\cancellare\Serial-LowPower-Demo\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\libmbed.a(mbed_error.o): In function `error':
mbed_error.c:(.text.error+0x12): undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Serial-LowPower-Demo_3.axf] Error 1

It 'a known issue? There's something I have to change/add in the project options?

24 Feb 2017

I also tried with MBED CLI and have the same problem!!

work with mbed-os-example-blinky, NOT WORK WITH mbed_blinky

root@antoDeb8:/home/anto/Projects/mbed/mbed_blinky# mbed compile -t GCC_ARM
[mbed] Auto-installing missing Python modules...
Building project mbed_blinky (EFM32GG_STK3700, GCC_ARM)
Scan: .
Scan: mbed
Scan: env
Compile [100.0%]: main.cpp
Link: mbed_blinky
/home/anto/Projects/mbed/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q2/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/5.4.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/crt0.o: In function `_start':
./mbed/f9eeca106725/TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700/TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM/libmbed.a(error.o): In function `error':
error.c:(.text.error+0x16): undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'
/home/anto/Projects/mbed/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q2/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/5.4.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libc.a(lib_a-mprec.o): In function `_Balloc':
mprec.c:(.text._Balloc+0x24): undefined reference to `__wrap__calloc_r'
mprec.c:(.text._Balloc+0x40): undefined reference to `__wrap__calloc_r'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
[ERROR] /home/anto/Projects/mbed/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q2/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/5.4.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/crt0.o: In function `_start':
./mbed/f9eeca106725/TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700/TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM/libmbed.a(error.o): In function `error':
error.c:(.text.error+0x16): undefined reference to `__wrap_exit'
/home/anto/Projects/mbed/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q2/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/5.4.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libc.a(lib_a-mprec.o): In function `_Balloc':
mprec.c:(.text._Balloc+0x24): undefined reference to `__wrap__calloc_r'
mprec.c:(.text._Balloc+0x40): undefined reference to `__wrap__calloc_r'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

[mbed] ERROR: "python" returned error code 1.
[mbed] ERROR: Command "python -u /home/anto/Projects/mbed/mbed_blinky/.temp/tools/make.py -t GCC_ARM -m EFM32GG_STK3700 --source . --build ./BUILD/EFM32GG_STK3700/GCC_ARM" in "/home/anto/Projects/mbed/mbed_blinky"
---
08 Mar 2017

I had the same problem using the mbed-cli and got it working by updating the "mbed" dependency.

13 May 2017

What commands did you use to "update the 'mbed' dependency"?

16 May 2017

You have to change the build link in the mbed.bld file with the newest one. Currently it is: http://mbed.org/users/mbed_official/code/mbed/builds/4eea097334d6

I don't understand why the older build does not work though. It should have been tested with that build.

The project with the updated mbed build still does not work when imported to Simplicity Studio 4. I receive this error:

14:20:27 **** Incremental Build of configuration GNU ARM v4.8.3 - Release for project mbed_blinky_low_power ****
make -j4 all 
Building target: mbed_blinky_low_power.axf
Invoking: GNU ARM C++ Linker
arm-none-eabi-g++ -g -gdwarf-2 -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -T (...)
c:/siliconlabs/simplicitystudio/v4/developer/toolchains/gnu_arm/4.8_2013q4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe:C:\Users\oezgen\Documents\simplicity-projects\mbed_blinky_low_power\mbed\TARGET_EFM32GG_STK3700\TOOLCHAIN_GCC_ARM\efm32gg.ld:195: syntax error
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mbed_blinky_low_power.axf] Error 1

14:20:30 Build Finished (took 3s.41ms)